Friday 22 August 2008

Kalyanji Anandji: Chhalia (1960/1986)

Chhalia

More from the Shah brothers, going way back into time this time. And it's a real charmer, sounding sprightly, upbeat and fun. It contains none of the Western elements Kalyanji Anandji became famous for - it was one of their earliest efforts - so for some it'll be an acquired taste, as it was for me. But once you get into to it you'll find gold. Similar to that on 'Detective', which I - and I think a lot of you - enjoyed a while back.

Highlights? Take your pick. At the moment I'm really fond of the sweet 'Baje Payal Chhun Chhun', the lively 'Chhalia Mera Naam' and the 'Title Music'. But almost everything on 'Chhalia' [review] is ace, so do check the entire album out.

Track listing:
1. Lata Mangeshkar & Chorus: Baje Payal Chhun Chhun
2. Mukesh: Chhalia Mera Naam
3. Mukesh: Dum Dum Diga Diga
4. Lata Mangeshkar: Teri Rahon Mein Khade Hain
5. Mukesh & Lata Mangeshkar: Meri Jaan Kutch Bhi Kijiye
6. Mukesh: Mere Toote Hue Dil Se
7. Mohd. Rafi: Gali Gali Sita Roye
8. Title Music

10 comments:

  1. sounds good from your description , everything so gratefully appreciated , thanks PC

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the few Raj Kapoor movies that I've actually liked. Great music!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually checked your blog for a review I could link to... but there wasn't one...
    PC x

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I saw it loooonnnng ago...would need to rewatch it in order to write one :-) In fact, I didn't even know anything about Manmohan Desai at the time. Sacrilege!

    ReplyDelete
  5. While 'Chhalia' was certainly one of KA's most famous scores, it being one of their early ones, it is highly reminiscent of the SJ school of music, whom they were highly influenced by.

    I find this rather interesting, given that they both served their apprenticeship under Hemant Kumar in the 50s :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm definitely going to check this one out. Thanks for all the great gems. I wish I could add something a little more, but this will have to suffice until I actually listen to it.

    Best, Kevin

    http://eclectic-grooves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good work man . Hope you will maintain the standard of the blog .
    i have blog too but people often also search about music > But i dont publish music so let exchange our link . Ill link your site and you link my site
    Frist view my site
    http://bollywoodnbuzz.blogspot.com

    and add your comment so i can add your site link
    thank you

    sudeshthapa

    ReplyDelete