Saturday 10 March 2007

Bappi Lahiri: Kasam Paida Karnewale Ki (1984)

Kasam Paida Karnewale Ki

Bappi Lahiri: Very popular among DJ-types a while back, possibly he still is... me, I'm not a big fan. Most of what I've heard is dull, tacky to the extreme, his songs often bland rip-offs from other people's hits. It's with good reason he's referred to as 'The King of Copy'. Some of his soundtracks used to fetch ridiculous sums on eBay; 'Gun Master G-9 Surakksha', 'Jyoti' and 'Disco Dancer' to name a few... they might be among the better ones, I wouldn't know. A few of his are OK though, like 'Kasam Paida Karnewale Ki'.

Hardly a trace of traditional Indian sounds on this... 'Dance Dance' is the kind of 80s disco you either love or hate (or say you hate but secretly love), 'Jeena Bhi Kya Hai Jeena' is in fact quite good despite (or because of) its shameless steal from 'Billie Jean', and the anthemic title track has its funky moments. But my favourite is 'Come Closer' (now why isn't that on YouTube?), a gorgeous slowburning lounge-funk number that I once saw described as "Donna Summer meets Ravi Shankar". Sweet!

Track listing:
1. Salma Agha: Dance Dance
2. Salma Agha & Bappi Lahiri: Jeena Bhi Kya Hai Jeena - Part I
3. Salma Agha: Come Closer
4. Vijay Benedict: Kasam Paida Karnewale Ki
5. Salma Agha & Bappi Lahiri: Jeena Bhi Kya Hai Jeena - Part II
6. Salma Agha & Bappi Lahiri: Dance Dance

14 comments:

  1. hi
    Nice to hear this soundtrack after a long time I too like the come closer track.it has been remixed many times.But I use to be a big fan of salma agha from Salma & Sabita sing Abba in hindi(1981).Do you have the sound track to the film 'Salma'(1985)music is by bappi lehri (CBS records release)
    cheers for this soundtrack

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi
    good 80s pop.I use to have this cassette.Am I mistaken or is there a song missing for this soundtrack I am sure there was S.Janki singing a song on this album.
    cheers
    ------

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a fan of Lahiri and just found this soundtrack a couple of months back. Played it a DJ gig this past weekend and it went down well.

    I'm wondering if you have "College Girl" kicking around...

    Great blog by the way (though my web filter at work sometimes won't let me access the files)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheesy - but superb - love the energy on "Dance Dance", and the slow burner that is "Come Closer" - thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is incredible..cant stop listening to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. where can i buy this soundtrack on CD?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blong! I enjoy a lot this music!
    This link is dead... Can you reupload this album, please?

    Thanls a lot for your work!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks very much, man!
    You are fast!!!!!! :D
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Occasionally. Like when I'm bored a work.
    :-)
    PC x

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Come Clser".........

    Dopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Music for the movie "SALMA" has been composed by Laxmikant Pyarelal and not Bappi Lahiri. Indeed, "Come Closer" is a super track ! I actually like the crisp recording :) Excellent for those days ! Thanks a lot!
    Harshi

    ReplyDelete
  12. My bad ! Its Bappi da himself for SALMA. Sorry !

    Harshi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi PC, can you upload this again ?

    ReplyDelete