Sunday 14 January 2007

Kalyanji Anandji: Upkar (1967)

Upkar

Here's a rather good one. Kalyanji Anandji's 'Upkar' was one of the duo's first scores that incorporated Western elements, especially on the awesome 10-minute long 'Gulabi Raat Gulabi'. It starts off with a jazzy rock 'n' roll beat, turns into a haunting piece of exotica midway, ending up all epic sounding with sound effects and everything. Great stuff! 'Mere Desh Ki Dharati' is also excellent I think, very percussive with a bit of a bossa feel (on accordions) in the middle and another rock 'n' roll bit later on. Lata Mangeshkar's 'Har Khushi Ho Wahan' is worth a listen too.

Track listing:
1. Mahendra Kapoor & Chorus: Mere Desh Ki Dharati
2. Asha Bhosle, Manna Dey, Mahendra Kapoor, Shamsad, Sunder & Chorus: Aayee Jhoomke Basant
3. Manna Dey: Kasme Wade Pyar Wafa
4. Mukesh: Diwano Se Mat Puchho
5. Lata Mangeshkar: Har Khushi Ho Wahan
6. Asha Bhosle & Mohd. Rafi: Gulabi Raat Gulabi
7. Mahendra Kapoor & Chorus: Mere Desh Ki Dharati (Sad)

8 comments:

  1. Another added benefit of the vinyl - track 7 oft omitted on other OSTs, thanks a bunch. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a veritable vinyl mine at your home thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found this blog, and It is seriously... Great. I just love this, it's like finding a piece of my life that has been missing. I don't care if I sound sentimental but this really means a lot to me. Thank YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. owww... could you please re-up this? The divshare link isn't working anymore. Tnx for all the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YaHooo!!! I love the teesri manzil :-) Tnx.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. I especially like the posters. Love 'em. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete