Saturday 30 December 2006

Rahul Dev Burman: Teesri Manzil (1966)

Teesri Manzil

Here's one I did before, Rahul Dev Burman's soundtrack to 'Teesri Manzil' from 1966. It was one of the first to fuse traditional Hindi song and instrumentation with jazz, rock 'n' roll and other Western styles, effectively kick starting a new era in Indian film music. Check out the title music for starters, a stunning instrumental containing elements of 'The Twilight Zone' and 'The James Bond Theme'. Or 'Main Hoon Pyar Tera', a cool rock 'n' roll number reminiscent perhaps of 'Jan Pahechan Ho' (you know, the 'Ghost World' one), or Asha Bhosle's charming 'O Mere Sona'.

Track listing:
1. Rahul Dev Burman: Title Music
2. Asha Bhosle & Mohd. Rafi: Main Hoon Pyar Tera
3. Mohd. Rafi: Deewana Mujhse Nahin
4. Asha Bhosle & Mohd. Rafi: Main Impe Marta Hoon
5. Asha Bhosle & Mohd. Rafi: O Haseena
6. Mohd. Rafi: Tumne Mujhe Dekha
7. Asha Bhosle: O Mera Sona
8. Rahul Dev Burman: Music

14 comments:

  1. I know I already told you, but I'm saying it again, lol. This vinyl of Teesri Manzil blows the CD away, thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never actually heard any of the CD reissues, buy yeah, I've always kind of suspected they're of dodgy quality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Shammi Kapoor! I want to be Shammi when I grow up. Many thanks for sharing this.
    -d!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo this one's awesome, one of my favorite movies of Shammi Kapoor. Love the music too, though I am more the SDB kind :grin: This one should've been @ 192, I know I know... and I very much appreciate what you've done. You are very organised - tags and art work et al!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superb - Amazing.
    Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I assumed that your blog was named for the part of the house you kept your big box o' bollywood; but now that I've seen the movie, is it coincidence that your first upload was the soundtrack to a film whose title translates as "Third Floor"?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope, no coincidence - well spotted, you're the first one to have pointed it out :-)
    (Plus, when I started the blog, I actually did live in a 3rd floor flat... don't now though.)
    PC x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    You've done a great job with these albums. I remember seeing many of them in the record shops of Southall, England in the '70's.

    One question have the links to the songs gone now ?

    Thanks,

    Bhumbli Ka Jat

    ReplyDelete
  9. The link is right above you :-)
    PC x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know how it is that I have only just found you...but as a crazed Hindi movie fan and a lover of vinyl over cd sound your site is a godsend.

    Thanks again SO MUCH.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Great Collection !! Looking for the LP cover for my ipod .....
    Million thanks ...

    Saikia
    Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey PC can you upload again ? this download is dead

    ReplyDelete
  13. As is clearly stated here and here, no I can't.

    ReplyDelete